PurpleAir sensors are seamlessly integrated into the IQAir platform. This collaboration helps grow the impact of a station’s data and contributes to improved air quality models, forecasts and applications. It also allows station owners to benefit from contributor features on the IQAir app and website.
All contributors have the option to claim their devices in order to receive acknowledgement for their contribution and increase their project’s visibility with a “contributor profile.” A contributor profile is a public landing-page on IQAir.com and the IQAir app that promotes a mission or organization with a bio, images, and links to third-party websites and social media accounts.
Until PurpleAir devices are claimed, these sensors will remain anonymous. Follow the steps below to claim PurpleAir stations that are already live on the IQAir platform:
1. Login to the IQAir website. If new, create an IQAir account, verify your e-mail address, and login.
2. Start PurpleAir onboarding process. Click the button below to begin the process:
3. Create a contributor profile for your IQAir account. Fill in the requested fields to share information about your project and/or mission. Contributor profiles provide a dedicated landing page for users to learn more about the contributor’s goals and current monitoring network, as well as link to a contributor’s website and social media pages.
Pictured: Fields for creating a Contributor Profile in step 1 of the PurpleAir onboarding process. The "description" section provides a space for a company or project bio.
4. Submit station information. Add your PurpleAir device to your account.
A) Type in your device’s serial number and station information will be auto-filled. Edit auto-filled data as you wish to ensure accuracy.
- To find your PurpleAir serial number, search for your original PurpleAir confirmation email. In the ‘Useful Links’ section, find the download data.
- The serial number to claim your PurpleAir sensor is the number after “show=”, example below.
B) Upload installation pictures of your device. Please include 3 images: a closeup of the device ID / MAC address (to prove ownership of the device), a picture from 1-meter (~3 feet) away, and a picture from 10 meters (~32 feet) away to capture the surroundings. These images help to identify your PurpleAir device and show the device’s surroundings as safe from hyperlocal emissions.
Pictured: Confirmation page, field boxed in red needs attention before submitting.
6. Claim more devices. Add more PurpleAir sensors to your profile. There are two ways:
A) To claim more PurpleAir sensors, either repeat the process listed above, starting with step 2 in this article, or click the “Add your station” button on your profile preview.
B) When logged in, click your profile icon. From the drop down menu, select your username under “Personal Dashboard.” On the Personal Dashboard page, select the new menu text “Devices.” Click the button in the top right-hand corner, “Register a Device,” and enter your PurpleAir device’s serial number.
Pictured: Steps for accessing the PurpleAir onboarding process, through the online profile.
7. Check your sensor’s status. Discover which of your sensors have been added, and which are still pending by navigating to your “Devices” homepage. PurpleAir sensors are usually confirmed within 48 hours of submitting a claim request.